Britain chooses a “Hard Brexit”


British Prime Minister Theresa May has announced the government’s plans for a full Brexit and plans for a new relationship with the European Union.

Theresa May has named specific next steps: withdrawing from the European market and canceling trade agreements, terminating the European Court's jurisdiction over the territory of the kingdom, and independent control over migration. However, the prime minister stressed the need for cooperation with the EU in the field of defense and security, particularly in combating terrorism and international crime.


British and Western European politicians and experts have reacted differently to London's plan to completely withdrawal from the European Union. The plan has inspired Eurosceptics, but disappointed supporters of the EU.

Theresa May's statement has caused a panic reaction among the liberal elites. Many politicians have stated that there are high risks involved in a "Hard Brexit". Critics promise catastrophic consequences for the economy and serious political problems with the European Union.

In addition, neoliberal forces fear that the process of exiting the EU will lead to the establishment of a new world order as well as a strengthening of right parties and Eurosceptic positions in the upcoming elections in the Netherlands, France, and Germany. Experts do not exclude that Brexit could cause a domino effect.

Pending the decision of Parliament

In November of last year, the High Court in London ruled that the Brexit procedure cannot be started without the approval of parliament. After the court statement, the government appealed to the Supreme Court.

The UK Supreme Court will decide on January 24th whether ministers or parliament have the legal authority to trigger Brexit.


UK residents voted in a general referendum on the country's withdrawal from the European Union. 52% of participants voted in favor of this decision, while remaining in the EU tallied 48% of the population’s vote. Thus, the process of the country's exit from the European Union has started. The results of the referendum will have a direct impact on the future of not only the UK, but also the entire EU.